Friday, June 09, 2006

Guts vs. Brains

Don't hire people with more brains than guts.
People with more brains than guts may someday develop guts,
learn everything you know
and leave to become one of your toughest competitors.
You’re better off hiring people with more guts than brains,
because they aren’t going to someday develop brains.


I heard this fifteen years ago from a very successful entrepreneur and thought at the time that it was one of the ugliest and crudest things I had ever heard. I still think so. The only reason I think that I still remember it after all these years is that it is true…at least in the short run…which is exactly how long his company lasted.

(Thought to self: Hmm? Sound like any presidential administrations you know?)

Subscribe to Usable Insight of the Week

No comments: