Monday, January 02, 2006

Make 2006 Your Most Successful Year Ever

The Impossibility Question

What is something that would be impossible to do,
but if you could do it,
would exponentially increase your results and success in your career?


- Dave Hibbard, founder, Dave Hibbard International


Dave Hibbard uses “The Impossibility Question” as a way to trigger out-of-the-box thinking. By asking this question up front, it bypasses your coming up with suggestions, advice or solutions only to have people respond to them with: “Yeah, but we can’t do that…” or “Yeah, but that’s impossible.”

After people answer the question, follow it up with: “Okay, what would make that possible?”

I did just that with a segment producer on the television show, The View after he had done such a capable and competent job of preparing me for a segment in which I was the guest expert.

He was hesitant at first, but then responded with: “If I could find out where Chandra Levy is (before she was discovered dead in Washington, D.C.) and arrange an exclusive interview with Barbara Walters, that would put me on the radar screen and greatly help my progress toward doing what I want to do, namely become an Executive Producer.”

I replied: “So even if you don’t do that, if you can arrange for an exclusive interview by Barbara with a highly sought after guest, you could accomplish the same thing. Correct?”

“Correct,” he replied and as he was about to leave the “green room” he stopped, turned back to me and said: “I’ve been doing this kind of work for over ten years and never has a guest asked me such a helpful question. Thanks.”

Without knowing I had succeeded in also accomplishing the impossible for myself, i.e. becoming memorable to a producer who must deal with hundreds of guests like me in a year.

Network, eat well and catch Mark's "signature" talk: "Effective Persuasion: A Hostage Negotiator's Approach" on January 10, 2006 at the famous Friar's Club in Beverly Hills hosted by the Marketing Executives Networking Group. For more information go to: MENG Northern LA Meeting.

No comments: